Part of living a balanced life is giving yourself the opportunity to and eat the things you love! Truth be told, I have a sweet tooth and I love to bake. Over the years I have learned to make my favorite sweets with healthy alternatives and the result has been fantastic! The following recipes are a few of my favorites, I hope you enjoy!
7 apples (you can use any kind you like – I usually use Macintosh and Granny Smith for a mix of sweet and tart)
1 cup cranberries (fresh or if frozen, thawed)
1 ½ cups flour (I use sprouted, whole-grain, spelt flour but you can use any flour or flour alternative)
1 cup 100% pure Canadian maple syrup
1 cup oats
½ cup coconut oil
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tbsp ginger
1 tsp sea salt
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
2) In a large mixing bowl: pour 1 cup flour, 1tsp sea salt, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1tbsp nutmeg and giner. Mix well.
3) wash and chop apples into 1/2 – 1 inch chunks
4) Put apples into the mixing bowl with the flour and spices
5) Add cranberries into the mixing bowl
6) Add ½ cup maple syrup to mixing bowl and stir well, coating all the apples in the flour and syrup
7) Pour contents of mixing bowl into an oven-safe, glass baking tray
8) take the back of a spoon and press down mixture to make a nice, even layer
For crisp top:
1) in a separate mixing bowl mix: ½ cup flour with 1 cup oats, 1tbsp cinnamon
2) slightly melt coconut oil by beating it in a bowl and then add ½ cup coconut oil to the flour and oat mixture
3) add in ½ cup maple syrup and mix entire mixture well.
4) spread the topping on top of the apple mixture, ensuring the entire pan is covered side-to-side
Then, place glass tray in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and crispy!
The Easiest (and best) Oatmeal Cookies!
I have been making these cookies for years. Whenever I bring them for people they always get rave reviews! Little do they know that they take only 15 minutes to make and they are actually healthy!
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups of oats
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mash bananas in a bowl and mix in apple sauce
Add oats and mix well
Add in additional ingredients (dried fruit, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, etc)
Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes